Kappa/Cassava Root – In olden days Kappa was know as “staple food of poor” in Kerala. In those days due to the high price of rice, labour class people consumed starch rich Kappa as a substitute of rice. But Kappa was not much popular in hotels those days except in toddy shops. But now a days Kappa is the most lovable nostalgic dish for everyone.
Peeled and cut Kappa can be dried and stored for availing for a long period, called as “unakka kappa” (dried kassava).
Variety of dishes can be made from kappa like – Kappa puzhukku, Kappa puzhungiyathu, Kappa biriyani, Kappa chips.
Kappa puzhuk was eaten with “pazham kanji” (rice kept in water over night), chammanthi and fish curry as a breakfast.
- Fish/ Beef/ Chicken
- Rice + Moru + Fish curry
- Mulak chammanthi
Kappa Vevichathu | Kappa Puzhukk | Tapioca | Cassava RootPrint This
- 1. Tapioca - 1/2 Kg - Cut into small pieces
- 2. Coconut - 1/2 Cup - Grated
- 3. Shallots - 1 1/2 Tablespoon - Chopped
- 4. Garlic - 1/2 Teaspoon - Chopped
- 5. Green chilly - 2 Nos
- 6. Cumin seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- 7. Turmeric powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- 8. Salt - To taste
- 9. Curry leaves - 2 stems
- 10. Coconut oil - 2 Tablespoon
- Cook tapioca with water and salt and drain excess water.
- Crush ingredients 2 – 8.
- Add the crushed ingredients, curry leaves and coconut oil to the cooked tapioca and mash well with a ladle. (Add salt if required)
- Serve with mulak chammanthi/ fish curry/ beef curry/ chicken curry.