Chammanthi – Made from from coconut is a very known and popular side dish in Kerala. It can be made in different ways with different spice combination. Chammanthi has a hot and tangy taste, hotness can be given by red chilly powder/ green chilly/ eye bird chili (Kanthari mulak) and sourness can be given by tamarind/ raw mango/ irumban puli.
In olden days Chammanthi was made in “Ara kallu” – 1 flat and 1 cylindrical stones for making smooth pastes for curries. And it gave good taste to Chammanthi than it is ground in electrical mixers.
Unakka chemmen (dry prawns) added with Chammanthi gives a nice flavour and is best with rice.
- Kappa puzhukk (Cassava)
- Chakka puzhukk (Jackfruit)
Unakka Chemmeen Chammanthi | Kerala Style Roasted Dry prawns ChutneyPrint This
- 1. Dry prawns - 1/4 Cup
- 2. Coconut - 1/2 Cup - Grated
- 3. Shallots - 2 Tablespoon - Chopped
- 4. Garlic - 1 Teaspoon - Chopped
- 5. Dry chilly - 4 Nos (Soaked in water)
- 6. Red chilly powder - 2 Teasponn
- 7. Curry leaves - 4 leaves
- 8. Salt - To taste
- Dry roast prawns and cool it down.
- Grind all ingredients without adding water.
- Serve with kappa/ rice.