Mambazha Pulissery is a sweet and tangy curry commonly made with ripe Kerala style Chandrakaran/ Naattu Manga/ Country Mango (a variety, small and sweet mangoes with lots of fibres inside it). Ripe mangoes are added to the curry as whole after peeling off the skin as the size of the mangoes are small. If we are using any other variety mangoes, we can slice and use.
- Squeeze the whole mango/ pieces while making the curry to make it tender.
- Adding jaggery/ sugar is optional – if the mangoes are very sweet.
- Adding hing powder optional but will make the curry delicious.
- Add beaten curd/ buttermilk + water according to the tanginess and thickness of the curry you want.
Kerala Style Mambazha Pulissery | Mambazha Koottan | Ripe Mango Buttermilk Curry | Mambazha Curry | Manga Curry | Pazhutha Manga CurryPrint This
- 1. Mango - 5 Nos
- 2. Turmeric powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- 3. Jaggery powder/ Sugar - 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- 4. Salt - To taste
- 5. Curry leaves - 1 Sprig
- 6. Water - 1 Cup
- 5. Coconut - 1 Cup (Freshly scrapped)
- 6. Cumin seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
- 7. Green chili - 2 Nos
- 8. Water - 1/2 Cup
- 9. Beaten Curd/ Buttermilk - 1/2 Cup
- 10. Coconut oil - 1 Tablespoon
- 11. Mustard seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
- 12. Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 13. Curry leaves - 1 Sprig
- 14. Dried red chili - 2 Nos (broken)
- 15. Hing powder - 1/8 Teaspoon
- Remove the skin of the ripe mango and squeeze slightly with hands. So that mangoes will get cooked properly and absorb all flavours of the curry.
- Cook ingredients 1-6 for 15 minutes in low flame.
- Make a smooth paste of ingredients 5-9 and add to the curry.
- Cook till raw smell goes off. Don’t boil for long time.
- Switch off the flame and make Tadka/ Tempering with ingredients 10 to 14 as below.
- Heat coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Then add curry leaves, hing powder and dried chili roast till fragrant.
- Add the tempering to the Mambazha Pulissery, mix well and keep covered for 10 minutes before serving for more flavour.