Sweet millet rice can be made with any millets. Here I’m sing unpolished kodo millet.
How to make the best healthy kodo millet sweet recipe
Here I’m explaining the ingredients and method of making a healthy kodo millet sweet.
Prepare time: 10 min
Cook: 15 min
Ready in: 25 min
Cuisine: Millet recipes
- Unpolished kodo millet – 1/2 cup (any millet except finger millet and pearl millet can be used for this recipe)
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Jaggery powder – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Roasted cumin powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Scraped coconut – 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Wash and soak the kodo millet overnight or at least for 4 hours. If you are using kodo millet the water color while rinsing and washing will change to brown but it’s okay.
- In a pan cook the kodo millet with water. 1:3 is the ratio of kodo millet and water.
- After the millet is well cooked, add jaggery powder, cardamom powder, roasted cumin powder, scraped coconut, ghee and salt one by one and combine well.
- Switch off the flame and serve the sweet millet rice.
Pro tips & tricks by Anishya
- Soaking millet is mandatory for the complete health benefits.
- Discard the millet soaked water after soaking, don’t use it for cooking.
- Adding ghee helps to absorb the nutrients fast from millets.
- Add more jaggery if you want more sweetness.
Variations you can try
- You can use any millet except finger millet and pearl millet can be used for this recipe.
- You can add little ginger powder for this recipe along with cardamom powder and cumin powder.
- You can make this recipe with any one of the spices, cardamom or cumin powder too.
Storage/ Serving tips
- Serve hot or warm
- Serve chilled
Best serving combos suggested by Anishya
- As it is
- With banana