Fish Mappas is an another type of Fish Molee recipe – Shallow fried fish in coconut milk. Here no spices like cardamom, cinnamon and cloves are added instead coriander powder and fennel seeds powder are the flavouring agents.
Kerala Style Fish MappasPrint This
- 1. Fish - 500 gms (Pomfret/ King Fish/ Pearl Spot)
- 2. Onion - 3 Cups - Chopped
- 3. Green chillies - 10 Nos - Slitted
- 4. Ginger - 1 Teaspoon - Finley chopped
- 5. Tomato - 1/2 Cup - Sliced
- 6. Coriander powder - 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- 7. Fennel seeds powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- 8. Thin coconut milk - 3 Cups
- 9. Thick coconut milk - 1 1/2 Cup
- 10. Curry leaves - 2 Stems
- 11. Salt - As required
- 12. Coconut oil - As required
- To marinate
- 13. Ginger - 1/2 Tablespoon - Paste
- 14. Garlic - 1 Tablespoon - Paste
- 15. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 16. Pepper powder - 1 Tablespoon
- 17. Salt - As required
- --- For tempering ---
- 18. Mustard seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- 19. Curry leaves - 2 Stems
- 20. Dried red chilly - 3 Nos - Cut
- 21. Shallots - 1 Tablepspoon
- 22. Coconut oil - As required
- --- To fry ---
- 23. Cashew nuts - A handful
- 24. Raisins - 2 Tablepsoon
- 25. Coconut oil - As required
- Marinate the fish for 20 minutes with ingredients from 13 to 17.
- Shallow fry the fish pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and salt till onions become golden brown.
- Add tomato and saute till tomatoes become soft.
- Add coriander powder and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add thin coconut milk, close the lid and boil in a medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Add fennel seeds powder in the curry and mix well. Then add fried fish and swirl the curry without breaking fishes. Boil till gravy become thick.
- Mean while prepare the tempering.
- Heat oil in a separate pan, splutter mustard seeds, add shallots, red chillies and curry leaves and fry till shallots become brown.
- Add thick coconut milk to the curry, swirl the curry and heat for 2 minutes. Don’t allow it to boil.
- Then add the tempering, swirl the curry.
- Switch off the flame and add fired cashew nuts and raisins.
- Keep the pan covered for 5 minutes and serve warm.