Tomato rice – It’s a easy and popular South Indian dish made from tomatoes also known as Thakkali Sadam. Here I’m using basmati rice to make tomato rice. ?
- Chutney + Pickle
Tomato Rice – Thakkali SadamPrint This
- 1. Tomato - 1 1/2 Cup - Chopped
- 2. Basmati rice/ White rice - 1/2 Cup
- 3. Shallot/ Onion - 1/4 Cup - Chopped
- 4. Garlic - 1 Teaspoon - Chopped
- 5. Green chilly - 2 Nos - Slitted
- 6. Dry chilly - 2 Nos - Slitted
- 7. Black gram - 1 Teaspoon - Peeled
- 8. Mustard seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- 9. Cumin seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 10. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 11. Hing powder - 1/8 Teaspoon
- 12. Curry leaves - 2 Stem
- 13. Salt
- 14. Oil - 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- 15. Coriander leaves - 2 Tablespoon - Chopped (Optional)
- Cook rice, drain water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry black grown till light brown color.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let it splutter. Then add dry chilly, curry leaves, garlic and green chilly and saute well.
- Add shallots/ onion, salt and green chillies and saute until shallots/onion become soft.
- Add turmeric powder then hing powder and saute.
- Add tomatoes and cook in a low flame by mashing them with the ladle.
- Add cooked rice when tomatoes are cooked.
- Mix the rice well with out breaking the grains.
- Cook for some more time in a low heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Left over rice also can be used.