Kumbalayila/ ash gourd leaves thoran is a Kerala style thoran preparation especially made in the month of ‘Karkidakam’. It’s a very tasty and nutritious thoran.
- Use tender ash gourd leaves for more taste.
- Use more leaves as the leaves will be shrunken after cooking.
- 1. Tender Ash gourd leaves (chopped) – 3 Cups
- 2. Shallots (chopped) – ¼ Cup
- 3. Coconut (scraped) – ¼ to ½ Cups
- 4. Turmeric powder – 1 Pinch
- 5. Garlic cloves – 2 Nos
- 6. Green chilli – 1 No
- 7. Salt – As required
- 8. Coconut oil - Few drops
- Clean and chop the ash gourd leaves.
- Crush coconut, garlic, green chilli and turmeric powder without water.
- Heat a pan and cook ash gourd leaves, shallots, crushed coconut mix and salt with pan covered in low flame.
- When steam comes out mix the ash gourd thoran well and again cook till done.
- When cooked, open the pan and sauté till water content is absorbed fully.
- Then add few drops of coconut oil and mix.
- Cover the pan and rest for 5 minutes and serve.