Irachi Achar is a Kerala style beef pickle preparation for preserving meat for more days.
- Rice + Chammanthi + Thoran
- Rice + Sambar + Thoran
- Rice + Moru curry + Thoran
Irachi Achar | Kerala Style Beef PicklePrint This
- 1. Beef (cut into small pieces) – 1 kg
- 2. Cinnamon – 3 Small pieces
- 3. Cloves – 6 No
- 4. Star anise – 1 No
- 5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
- 6. Vinegar – ½ Tablespoon + ½ Cup
- 7. Red chilli powder – ½ Cup
- 8. Garlic – 10 Cloves + ½ Cup
- 9. Ginger (julienne) -1/4 Cup
- 10. Curry leaves – 2 Stems
- 11. Mustard seeds – ½ Teaspoon
- 12. Fenugreek powder – ½ Teaspoon
- 13. Crushed mustard – ½ Teaspoon
- 14. Hing powder – ¼ Teaspoon
- 15. Boiling water – 2 Cups (approx)
- 16. Sugar - A pinch
- 17. Oil – ½ Cup – 1 Cup
- 18. Salt – As required
- Pressure cook ingredients 1 – 6 (use 1/2 tbls vinegar).
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the cooked beef till it become brown color and slightly crispy and keep aside.
- Make a fine paste of red chilli powder and 10 garlic cloves.
- Heat oil In the same pan used to fry the beef or in another pan (Beef fried oil can be used or add some more oil if required) splutter mustard seeds.
- Add ginger, garlic and curry leaves ans saute till light brown color.
- Add the ground paste and saute till row smell goes off.
- Add fenugreek powder, crushed mustard and hing powder and mix well.
- Add vinegar and boil till gravy become thick.
- Then add boiling water and boil till oil separates.
- Add fried beef and cook till gravy become thick and oil starts separating from the gravy.
- Store in a clean, dry and air tight ceramic/ glass container.
• Use low fat beef or remove all the fat from beef before cooking. • Water can be added to the pickle for gravy but it should be boiled water. • This pickle can be preserved many days without refrigerating if clean spoons are used to take out of the pickle (with out any moisture content) and if the pickle bottled is handled hygienically. • Coconut oil is the best oil for this preparation. • If water remaining after cooking beef, that water also can be used in pickle preparation.