Vanpayar Thoran – It’s a thoran (with coconut, cumin and garlic) made with vanpayar/ cowpeas/ brown peas.
- Rice + Rasam
- Rice + Moru curry (Butter milk curry)
Kerala Style Vanpayar Thoran | Cowpeas/ Brown peas ThoranPrint This
- 1. Brown peas (Vanpayar) - 1 Cup (Before soaking in water)
- 2. Coconut - 1 Cup
- 3. Cumin - 1/2 Teaspoon
- 4. Garlic - 2 Big cloves
- 5. Green chilly - 2 Nos
- 6. Curry leaves - 6 Leaves
- 7. Shallots (Chuvannulli) - 5 Nos
- 8. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 9. Red chilly powder - 1/2 Teaspoon (Optional)
- 10. Salt
- --- Tempering (Optional) ---
- 11. Coconut oil - 1 Tablespoon
- 12. Mustard seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 13. Dried red chilly - 2 Nos - Slitted
- 14. Curry leaves - 1 Stem
- Cook brown peas and keep aside with the water remaining after cooking.
- Crush ingredients 2 – 10 coarsely.
- Heat a pan and mix the ground coconut and cooked brown peas along with water.
- Cook again the mix with pan covered till all the water get absorbed.
- When done switch off the flame and add the tempering on the top.
- To temper – Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds then add curry leaves and dried red chilly and fry for sometime then pour over the cooked mix.
• Cooking time can be reduced if the peas soaked in water overnight and pressure cook. • Peas and water ratio should be in 1:1 ratio while cooking. If 1 cup peas is used add 1 cup water to cook provided if soaked overnight else more water and time needed for cooking. • 2 Cooker whistles are enough to cook the soaked peas.