Hot, Sour and Salty Kerala pickles can be made with mango, lemon, bimbli, gooseberry, carrot, beetroot, fish,beef, prawns etc. Oil, Salt and Vinegar are the natural preservatives and rule of thumb is, don’t touch the pickle with wet spoons. A pinch of Sugar can also be added to balance the taste as a final touch up ? . A layer of oil should be there on the top of pickle to prevent from the fungi growth.
In olden days pickles where kept in “Bharani” – clay pots. If clay pots are not available glass jars are the best option but not to store in plastic containers.
Though my Amma preserve pickle for one year (next year it will be very tasty than the instant pickles) I can’t wait for 1 year ;), I use less quantity of natural preservatives and refrigerate for preserving.
The amount of red chilly powder, salt and oil according to our taste and mangoes’ tanginess. Here Gingelly oil is used it tastes better than using Coconut oil. Good quality Gingelly oil should be used else it will be foamy when heating up.
For tastier pickle, keep raw mangoes in salt for some days and preserve the pickle for 1 week before using.
- Rice + Chammanthi + Fish fry
- Gruel + Green gram thoran
Kerala Style Manga Achar | Mango PicklePrint This
- 1. Raw mangoes - 1 Kg
- 2. Salt - 1/4 Cup
- 3. Red chilly powder - 1/3 Cup
- 4. Fenugreek Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- 5. Asefoetida (Hing) powder - 1 Teaspoon
- For Tempering
- 6. Mustard seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- 7. Shallots - 1 Tablespoon - Sliced
- 8. Curry leaves - 2 Springs
- 9. Dry chilly - 5 Nos
- 10. Gingelly oil - 1/2 Cup
- 11. Vinegar - 1/3 Cup
- Wash and clean full mangoes and pat dry.
- Cut the mangoes into small pieces without peeling the skin.
- Add salt and toss well and keep it in a tight closed glass jar for 3 days.
- After 3 days add red chilly powder and keep it for an hour.
- Tempering – Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds,
- Fry ingredients 7 – 9 till the shallots become brown color.
- Add the tempering into the mango pieces and mix well.
- Add fennugreek powder, asefoetida powder and vineger respectively and mix well.
- Store it in an air tight glass jar and use after one week.