Jackfruit is now declared as the state fruit of Kerala. Unlike many other fruits parts of jackfruit is edible except the outer thorns. Wide varieties of dishes can be made with jackfruit from sweets to biriyani.
‘Pacha Chakka’ is the Malayalam name for raw Jackfruit and ‘Pazhutha Chakka’ for ripe Jackfruit.
Jackfruit is considered as the vegan meat. Let’s see how to make a vegan meat masala using raw jackfruit. This chakka masala can be served as a side dish for rice or chapati or any type of bread or can be eaten as a whole meal.
How to make Chakka/ Jackfruit masala
Here I’m explaining the ingredients and method of making Jackfruit masala.
Prepare time: 10 min
Cook: 20 min
Ready in: 30 min
- Diced raw jackfruit bulbs – Medium size – 15 nos
- Chopped onion – 1 No
- Chopped ginger – A small piece
- Roughly chopped green chili – 1 No
- Curry leaves – 1 Sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
- Chopped tomato – 1 Medium
- Grated coconut – 1/4 Cup
- Fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) – 1/4 Teaspoon
- Garlic – 2 Small cloves
- Coconut oil – 1 Tablespoon
- Salt – To taste
- Coconut oil – 1.5 Tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Chopped shallots (chuvannulli) – 3 Nos
- Dried red chili – 2 Nos
- Curry leaves – 1 Sprig
- Coconut bits (thengakothu) – 2 Tablespoon
- Red chili powder – 1/4 Teaspoon (optional)
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, saute ingredients 2-5 (onion, ginger, green chili, curry leaves) with salt.
- When onion turns light brown add in powders from 6-9 (turmeric, coriander and red chili) and saute till raw smell subsides.
- Add tomato and saute till soft and mushy.
- Add chopped jackfruit, saute and cover the pan and cook in low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Meantime grind ingredients from 11 -13 (coconut, fennel seeds and garlic) smoothly with little water.
- Add the ground paste to the jackfruit masala with 1/2 cup water approximately and cook till jackfruit pieces are cooked well and water drained off with pan covered on low flame. Don’t make jackfruit over cooked and mushy.
- When cooked properly switch off the flame and prepare the tempering.
- Heat coconut oil in another pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Roast ingredients from 3-6 (shallots, dried red chili, curry leaves and coconut bits) till fragrant and light brown color.
- Switch off the flame add red chili powder and mix well with the tempering.
- Pour the tempering over prepared jackfruit masala and combine everything well.
- Serve hot with rice/ chapati or consume as a meal.
Pro Tips & tricks by Anishya
- Use raw jackfruit only for making a tasty chakka masala. If you are making with ripe or slightly ripe masala taste won’t be good.
- You can make this chakka masala without coconut also. Add chopped garlic and fennel powder separately instead of grinding with coconut. But it won’t be as tasty as adding coconut.
- For this recipe you should use the raw jackfruit with bulbs developed not the tender jackfruit, where bulbs are not developed.
- Use jackfruit fresh as possible if you are buying as raw form.
- Don’t keep raw jackfruit more than one day in fridge as it will get spoiled easily and the dish made won’t be tasty.
Best serving combos suggested by Anishya
- Serve with rice or roti or chapati or any kind of bread as side dish.
- Serve as a whole meal.
- Chakka masala + Kerala rice + moru curry