Thenga Chammanthi is a traditional Kerala side dish (made from fresh coconut) served with rice. “Thenga Chuttaracha Chammanthi” is a special preparation in which coconut and the red chillies are dry roasted before making the Chammanthi and of course tastier than normal Chamanthi ? .
In olden days, coconut broken into medium pieces without the shell and red chillies roasted on burning coals were used to make this Chammanthi. After cooking the day’s food, coals will be burning without fire. This is the perfect time to roast the coconut and chillies. But here I’m roasting the coconut and red chillies on a pan as coal stoves are rarely used everywhere.
- Rice + Thoran + Fish Curry/ Fry
Kerala Style Thenga Chuttaracha Chammanthi | Roasted Coconut ChammanthiPrint This
- 1. Coconut - 1 Cup - Sliced
- 2. Shallots - 2 Tablespoon - Chopped
- 3. Ginger - 1 Teaspoon - Chopped
- 4. Chilly powder - 1/2 Tablespoon/ Dry red chilly - 5 Nos.
- 5. Coriander powder - 1 Teaspoon
- 6. Tamarind - 1/2 Teaspoon
- 7. Curry leaves - 1 Spring
- 8. Salt
- Fry the coconut pieces till brown color with out adding oil. (Use a bottom thick pan)
- Fry the dried red chillies till they start changing the color. (if dried red chillies are using).
- Grind the fried coconut with all other ingredients without adding water.
Red chilly powder can be substituted for dried red chillies. No water is added but the shallots moisturize the Chammanthi.