Potato Mappas – A delicious, less spicy side dish in Kerala made out of potatoes in coconut milk. Mostly we have it for break fast with Appam.
- Appam/ Palappam
Appam soaked in the gravy melts in the mouth. Yummy……
Potato Mappas | South Kerala Style Potato StewPrint This
- Potato - 1 Cup - Boiled, peeled and cut in small to cubes
- Onion - 2 Cup - Sliced
- Ginger - 1 1/2 Teaspoon - Finely chopped
- Garlic - 1 Teaspoon - Finely chopped
- Green chilly - 5 Medium sized
- Curry leaves - 2 Stem
- Coriander powder - 4 Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Garam masala - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Thick coconut milk - 1 Cup
- Mustard seed - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Heat oil in a wok. (Coconut oil is preferred)
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute it till light brown.
- Add onion, curry leaves and green chillies and saute till the onion become soft in a medium heat. (Don’t let onion to be brown color).
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala and coriander powder and saute it for some time in a low heat till the raw smell goes. (Don’t burn it)
- Add boiled potatoes and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of hot water, mix well and allow it it boil. (Thin coconut milk also can be used)
- Put on the lid and cook it for 10 minutes in a medium heat.
- Add coconut milk, mix well heat up but don’t boil it.
- Switch off the flame, cover the lid and keep it for 5 minutes.
- Serve with bread/ chappati/ appam/ idiyappam.