Mathi/ Chaala Thakkali curry is a Kerala style sardine fish preparation with tomato in coconut paste. Mathi/ Chaala can be prepared in many ways with or without coconut. This recipe is very suited for Mathi/ Chaala than any other fishes. We can keep the curry 1 day and 1 night without refrigerating if we prepare this Mathi/ Chaala curry in earthen utensil and boil morning and evening. But in my opinion this curry is tastier when we eat right after the cooking. 🙂
The truth is I love the tomatoes in this fish curry than the fish pieces. 🙂
- Mix the fish curry gently while cooking else the fish pieces will fall apart.
- Adjust the sourness with the amount of gamboge and tomato added.
- Rice + Moru Curry + Mathi/ Chaala Thakkali Curry
- Kappa/ Chakka Vevichathu (Cooked Tapioca/ Raw Jackfruit) + Mathi/ Chaala Thakkali Curry
Mathi/ Chaala Thakkali Curry | Kerala Style Sardine Tomato Curry RecipePrint This
- 1. Sardine – 12 No
- 2. Coconut (scraped) – 1 Cup
- 3. Turmeric powder – 1 Pinch
- 4. Red chilli powder – 1 Tablespoon
- 5. Coriander powder – ½ Tablespoon
- 6. Fenugreek seeds – ¼ Teaspoon
- 7. Shallots – 6 Nos
- 8. Green chilli (slitted) – 4 Nos
- 9. Dried gamboge fruit – 1 Piece
- 10. Curry leaves – 4 Stems
- 11. Water - 2 Cups
- Soak teared dried gamboge fruit in hot water for sometime.
- Make a smooth paste of ingredients 2 – 7 with enough water.
- Mix the coconut paste with enough water.
- Then add soaked gamboge, curry leaves, slitted green chillis and salt to the above mix.
- Boil the coconut gravy in a pan, preferably an earthen pot.
- Add tomato and cut fish pieces when the gravy is boiling.
- Keep the pan covered and cook in low flame. Gently mix the fish curry occasionally.
- Cook for about 10 minutes and oil separates from the curry.
- Add some more curry leaves in the prepared fish curry, gently mix and switch off the flame.
- Keep it covered for sometime and serve hot with rice.