Masala Kappalandi | Masala Kadala | Peanut Fritters Recipe is a popular South Indian snack in which peanuts are batter
fried with gram flour/ basen. Kappalandi/ Nila Kadala is the Malayalam word for Peanut.
Masala Kappalandi | Masala Kadala | Peanut Fritters RecipePrint This
- 1. Peanut - 1 Cup - Dry roasted
- 2. Besan/ Gram flour - 1/2 Cup (Kadala mavu)
- 3. Rice flour - 1 Tablespoon (Aripodi)
- 4. Red chilly powder - 2 Teaspoon
- 5. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 6. Fennel powder - 1/2 Teaspoon (Perumjeerakam)
- 7. Asafoetida powder - 1/4 Teaspoon (Kayapodi)
- 8. Garlic - 5 Cloves - Crushed with peel
- 9. Curry leaves - 2 Stems
- 10. Salt - As required
- 11. Water - 1/2 Cup/ As required
- 12. Oil - For deep frying
- Mix ingredients 2 – 11 and make a loose batter.
- Add peanuts in the batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and make it to low – medium flame.
- When oil is very hot, add batter coated peanuts. Do not allow peanuts to stick together so spread peanuts with a ladle.
- Deep fry peanuts till brown and crispy.
- Allow the masala peanuts to cool down and store in a dry tight lid container.
- Red food color can be added to get a bright colored Masala Kappalandi/ Kadala. - Separate each batter coated peanuts with hands before putting into hot oil to avoid the lumps of Masala Kadala. Also spread the batter coated peanuts with a spatula while frying. - Rice flour is optional but adding it gives crispness. - The consistency of the batter should not be very loose or thick. Medium consistency is needed for the batter to stick on the peanuts well.