Vazhaykka Cherupayar Thoran is a Kerala style thoran preparation in which raw banana and green gram are cooked along with coconut and some spices.
- Rice + Moru curry + Fish curry
Kerala Style Vazhaykka Cherupayar Thoran | Raw Banana with Green Gram and Coconut
- 1. Raw Banana – 2 Cups – Cut into small pieces
- 2. Green gram – 1/4 Cup
- 3. Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- 4. Shallots – 4 Nos (Chuvannulli)
- 5. Garlic – 4 Cloves (Medium size)
- 6. Green chilly – 2 Nos
- 7. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon (Jeerakam)
- 8. Turmeric powder – 1/4 Teaspoon (Manjalpodi)
- 9. Salt – As required
- — For tempering —
- 10. Coconut oil – 1 Tablespoom
- 11. Mustard seeds – 1/4 Teaspoon
- 12. Shallots – 2 Teaspoon – Chopped
- 13. Dried red chilly – 2 Nos
- 14. Curry leaves – 2 Stems
- Pressure cook green gram if it was not soaked in water.
- Crush ingredients 3 – 8 coarsely and keep aside.
- Cook raw banana and green gram with 1/2 cup of water and salt on a ow flame with lid on.
- When raw banana and green gram are cooked 75% add the crushed ingredients.
- Mix well and put the lid on and cook till raw banana and green gram are cooked well.
- In a pan add coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add rest of the tempering ingredients and fry till light brown.
- Add the tempering to the banana and green gram thoran and mix well.
– Plantains (Ethaykka) or few banana varieties can be used to make Vazhaykka Cherupayar Thoran.[br] – Vazhaykka Thoran can be made without Cherupayar too. i.e., without green gram.[br] – Rub some oil on hands to remove the stain while cutting banana.[br] – Chop banana into water to prevent it from becoming dark color. Strain the water before cooking.[br] – Only peel the dark skin of the banana, don’t peel deeper. Vazhaykka Thoran can be cooked without peeling too.[br] – Wash and soak green gram in water at least for 3 hours or over night. This will help to cook the green gram easily. Or else pressure cook the green gram separate.[br] – If green gram is pressure cooked, add green gram only when adding crushed ingredients.[br] – Green gram or Brown peas (Vanpayar) can be used for Vazhaykka Thoran.