Kerala Style Beef Curry | Naadan Beef Curry Recipe is a popular non veg dish in Kerala. Naadan means local, i.e local Kerala Beef Curry. The main ingredient for Naadan Beef curry is “Coconut bites” but still it is optional as some people don not like to bite coconut in between. For me, I like to bite coconut bits more than the beef pieces ?
- Tapioca (Kappa) Vevichathu
- Rice + Moru curry/ Sambar/ Rasam
- Rice + Chammanthi + Pickle
- Chapati/ Porotta/ Puttu/ Appam/ Idiyappam
Kerala Style Beef Curry | Naadan Beef Curry RecipePrint This
- 1. Beef - 1/2 Kg
- 2. Coconut bits - 1/2 Cup
- 3. Cardamom - 2 Nos (Elaykka)
- 4. Cinnamon stick - 1 Inch piece (Karuka Patta)
- 5. Cloves - 4 Nos (Grambu)
- 6. Shallots/ Onion - 2 Cups - Sliced (Chuvannulli)
- 7. Green chilly - 4 Nos - Slitted
- 8. Ginger - 1 Tablespoon - Crushed
- 9. Garlic - 1 Tablespoon - Crushed
- 10. Curry leaves - 1 Stem
- 11. Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon (Manjal podi)
- 12. Chilli Powder - 1 1/2 Tablespoon (Mulak podi)
- 13. Coriander powder - 1 Tablespoon (Malli podi)
- 14. Pepper corns - 1/4 Teaspoon - Crushed (Kurumulak)
- 15. Fennel seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon (Perumjeerakam)
- 16. Coconut oil - 1 Tablespoon
- 17. Salt - As required
- Heat oil in a pan and fry coconut bits till light brown color and keep aside.
- In the same oil splutter mustard seeds and saute ingredients 3-5 for a minute in low flame.
- Add ingredients 6 – 10 and salt and saute until onion become light brown color in medium flame.
- Add ingredients 11 – 14 one by one and saute till the row smell goes off in low flame.
- Add cleaned beef and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of boiled water, mix well and cook or pressure cook until beef is perfectly cooked.
- Add fried coconut bits, fennel seed powder and 2 stems more curry leaves and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.
• Better to cook beef in a pressure cooker as beef takes long time to cook. • Use tender meat for taste and cooking fast. • Add 1 teaspoon vinegar to cook the meat fast it also give little sourness to the curry. • Some chopped tomatoes also can be added after sauteing onion but optional. • Usually water dried coconut is used for coconut bites but still the fresh coconut can also be used. • Coconut bits can be added either after frying or directly added while cooking the beef. • The amount of water can be adjusted according to the thickness of the gravy needed and it will also depends on the time taken to cook the meat. If meat takes long time to be cooked, more water to be added. • For the tender beef which takes less time to cook, no extra water is needed to add. Water in beef is enough for cooking. • If gravy needs more water when checking after cooking, add boiling water to loosen the gravy. • Shallots are best for beef curry but can be replaced with onion or both can be added in a ratio. • Excess coriander powder and pepper powder will change the taste and color of the curry. Also good to add crush pepper than pepper powder.