Idly/ Idli is a popular South Indian breakfast item made up of fermented rice and black gram. Soft and fluffy idly can be made with few ingredients. I’m using same batter to make idly and set dosa. Both tastes good with the same batter.
- Chutney/ Sambar
Soft and Fluffy Idly RecipePrint This
- 1. Raw rice (Pachari) - 1 Cup
- 2. Black gram (Peeled) - 1/2 Cup
- 3. Cooked rice - 2 Tablespoon
- 4. Salt
- 5. Oil
- Soak washed rice and black gram in water separately for minimum of 3 hours. Water should be above the surface of the rice and black gram. So that they can absorb enough water.
- After 3 hours, drain the water and grind black gram separate with adding chilled water. (Chilled water is used, so that the batter won’t become hot while grinding).
- Pour the ground black gram to a container.
- In the same mixer jar, add the raw rice and cooked rice adding chilled water. Don’t add too much water just add enough water to make a medium – thick batter.
- Mix both batter together and keep it in a container overnight.
- If the batter is prepared in the evening next day morning the batter will be fermented and increased in quantity.
- Add enough salt and mix the batter well.
- Grease idly moulds with some oil and pour the batter till half of the moulds.
- Steam it for 10 minutes in medium flame and switch off the flame.
- Grind the black gram till it become soft and fluffy. That is the secret for soft idly. - Use a large container as the batter will ferment and spillover.