Achinga Ularthiyathu/ Achinga Ularthu/ Valli Payar Ularth/ Odiyan Payar Ularthiyathu – All these are the different names of Long beans stir fry.
Ularthiyathu/ Ularthu preparation is very common in middle Kerala where as in South Kerala this preparation is bit different and called as ‘Mezhukku puratti’. In south Kerala “Achinga payar” is called as “Odiyan Payar”.
Crushed Shallots, Garlic and Red chillies are light fried in Coconut oil to make Ularthu recipes. But in Mezhukku purati recipes Shallots/ Onion are added in chopped form. Instead of crushed Red chilly, Grrn chilly/ Chilly powder is added and no Garlic is added.
- Rice + Moru Curry/ Moru Kachiyathu
- Rice + Chammanthi + Fish fry/ curry
Kerala Style Achinga Ularthiyathu | Long Beans Stir Fry RecipePrint This
- 1. Long beans - 200 gms/ 2 Cups (Achinga payar) - Cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2. Mustard seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon (Optional)
- 3. Shallots - 10 Nos - Medium size
- 4. Garlic - 2 Cloves - Medium size
- 5. Dried red chilly - 3 Nos
- 6. Curry leaves - 1 Stem
- 7. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 8. Onion - 1/2 Cup - Chopped (Optional)
- 9. Salt - As required
- 8. Coconut oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add the crushed shallots, garlic, dry chillies then add curry leaves and fry till raw smell goes off and till light brown color.
- Add long beans, onion, turmeric powder and salt and saute for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook the pan covered till the water dries off in low – medium flame.
- When cooked add little more coconut oil and fry for sometime till the long beans slightly fried on sides. (1 teaspoon oil is enough)
• Coconut bits can be added for extra crunchiness of the Achinga Ularthu. • I’m adding onion too for this recipe for extra thickness.