Kerala Style Achinga Payar Thoran is a common Thoran recipe with Long Beans.
Achinga / Valli Payar/ Odiyan Payar/ Neelan Payar – All these are the different names of Long beans in Kerala.
- Moru curry + Kerala Style Fish in coconut gravy/ Red Fish Curry
- Moru curry + Beef/ Chicken curry
Achinga Payar Thoran | Long Beans with CoconutPrint This
- 1. Long beans - 2 Cups - Chopped (Achinga payar)
- --- For Crushing ---
- 2. Coconut - 1/2 Cup - Grated
- 3. Garlic - 3 Cloves - Medium size
- 4. Cumin - 1/4 Teaspoon (Jeerakam)
- 5. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon (Manjalpodi)
- 6. Green chilly - 1 No
- 7. Shallots - 4 Nos - Medium size (Chuvannulli)
- 8. Salt - As required
- --- For Tempering ---
- 9. Mustard seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 10. Shallots - 2 Teaspoon - Chopped (Chuvannulli)
- 11. Curry leaves - 2 Stems
- 12. Dried red chilly - 1 No - Broken (Vatal mulak)
- 13. Coconut oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Crush ingredients 2 – 7 coarsely without adding water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add other tempering ingredients 10 – 12 and saute till shallots become golden brown.
- Add chopped long strings, crushed ingredients and salt and then mix all ingredients well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the mixture in very low flame sprinkling some water if needed.
- Stir occasionally and cook till long beans cooked well and all the water content got absorbed.