Therali Appam/ Kumbilappam – It’s an authentic Kerala evening snack made either from ripened jack fruit bulbs or banana. As it’s steamed instead of frying it’s a very healthy snack for everyone.
It’s flavoured with cardamom and cumin powder. Also as it’s made in fresh Edana ila/ Vazhana ila (bay leaves) that also gives a special aroma.
If fresh bay leaves are not available this recipe can be made in dried bay leaves or adding the dried leaves in the steaming water. Banana leaves/ aluminum foil are also can be used if bay leaves are not available.
Therali Appam | Kumbilappam | Edanayappam | Kerala Style Sweet DumplingsPrint This
- 1. Rice flour - 1 Cup - Roasted
- 2. Banana - 2 Nos - Mashed
- 3. Jaggery - 1/3 Cup - Grated
- 4. Coconut - Grated - 1/2 Cup
- 5. Cardamom - 3 Nos - Powdered
- 6. Cumin seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon - Powdered
- 7. Bay leaves - As required
- Combine ingredients 1 – 6 together and mix well.
- Knead well to make a dough without lumps.
- Make cones of bay leaves and pin with tooth picks and fill the dough. (Or tie with a string after filling the dough.)
- Steam the dough filled cones in a tightly closed steamer for approximately 12 minutes in a medium-high flame.
- Serve after cooling down.