Vazha Pindi CherupayarThoran | Vazhai Thandu Cheru Payar Thoran is a Kerala style Banana Stem with Coconut and Green Gram served with rice.
- Moru curry + Fish in coconut gravy
- 1. Banana Stem - 2 Cups - Chopped (Vazha pindi)
- 2. Green gram - 1/4 Cup (Cherupayar)
- --- For Crushing ---
- 3. Coconut - 1/3 Cup - Grated
- 4. Garlic - 3 Cloves - Medium size
- 5. Cumin - 1/4 Teaspoon (Jeerakam)
- 6. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon (Manjalpodi)
- 7. Green chilly - 1 No
- 8. Salt - As required
- --- For Tempering ---
- 9. Mustard seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 10. Shallots - 2 Teaspoon - Chopped (Chuvannulli)
- 11. Curry leaves - 2 Stems
- 12. Dried red chilly - 1 No - Broken (Vatal mulak)
- 13. Coconut oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Soak green gram in water overnight, cook and keep aside.
- Crush ingredients 3 – 7 coarsely without adding water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add tempering ingredients 10 – 12 and saute till shallots become brown.
- Add chopped banana stem, crushed ingredients, cooked green gram and salt and then mix all ingredients well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the mixture in very low flame without adding water.
- Stir occasionally and cook till banana stem cooked well and all the water content got absorbed.
- Serve with rice.