Vellarikka (Cucumber) Pachadi is a main Kerala Sadya recipe prepared by mixing Sambar cucumber with coconut paste and curd. We can call this Sadya recipe Vellarikka Pachadi or Vellarikka Kichadi (Name varies in place to place :)) and which can be served in Onam Sadya, Vishu Sadya and even served in Christian marriage non veg meal too.
Pachadi can be made with any of the vegetables like Sambar cucumber, beetroot, tomato, bitter gourd and fruits like mango, pineapple, grapes.
In Kerala Vellarikka Pachadi preparation we are using Sambar Cucumber – Green and yellow color mixed one which is also used as the main vegetable in Kerala Vishu Kani.
- Kerala Sadya
- Trim off both the end of Sambar cucumber and remove the seeds fully and wash well in water. These part of Sambar cucumber may cause bitterness in Pachadi.
- If Sambar cucumber is not available use any other cucumber.
- Adjust the water and amount of curd used according to the consistency and sourness of the Pachadi you want.
- Mash cucumber with the back of the spoon or gently grind after cooking if you want a thick consistency in Vellarikka Pachadi.
- Don’t grind the mustard seeds too much. It may cause bitterness in Pachadi.
Kerala Sadya Vellarikka Pachadi | Sambar Cucumber Pachadi RecipePrint This
- 1. Sambar cucumber – 250 gms / 1 cup
- 2. Green chilli – 2 No
- 3. Water – ½ cup
- 4. Fresh coconut (scraped) – ½ Cup
- 5. Mustard seeds – ½ Teaspoon
- 6. Curd (medium sourness) – ½ Cup
- 7. Salt – As required
- For tempering
- 1. Coconut oil – 1.5 Teaspoon
- 2. Mustard seeds – ¼ Teaspoon
- 3. Dried red chilli – 2 Nos
- 4. Curry leaves – 2 Stems
- Clean, wash and cut cucumber to small pieces.
- Cook the cucumber with cup water, green chillies and salt.
- Grind coconut with little water and make a smooth paste.
- Add crushed mustard seeds to coconut paste and mix.
- Add this coconut paste to cooked cucumber and cook for 2 more minutes.
- When cooked allow to cool down slightly.
- Add the slightly beaten curd and combine everything together.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves and dried red chilli and fry till fragrant.
- Add this to prepared cucumber Pachadi and mix everything well,
- Serve with Rice.