Paavaykka Thoran – Kerala style thoran preparation with bitter gourd.
- Rice + Sambar
- Rice + Fish cooked in coconut gravy
- Cassava roots prepared with coconut (കപ്പ വേവിച്ചത്)
Pavaykka Thoran | Bitter Gourd ThoranPrint This
- 1. Bitter Gourd (പാവയ്ക്ക) - 1 1/2 Cup - Chopped
- 2. Onion - Chopped - 1/2 Cup
- 3. Coconut - 1/2 Cup - Grated
- 4. Green chilly - 1 No
- 5. Curry leaves - 1 Spring
- 6. Mustard seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 7. Dried red chilly - 2 Nos
- 8. Salt
- 9. Coconut oil - 1 Tablespon
- Mix ingredients 1 – 5 with hands and keep aside.
- Meanwhile heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add red chilly and fry for sometime.
- Add the bitter gourd mixture with 1 tablespoon of water and cook the pan closed in low flame. Stir now and then.
- When cooked, add 1/2 tablespoon of oil, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Keep the pan covered at least for 5 minutes.
- If needed, add more onion and coconut to reduce the bitterness. - Some chopped raw mango also ca be added to reduce sourness. - I used light colored bitter gourd, not the dark greenish one.