Orange Chromide (‘Pallathi’ in Malayalam) is a small fresh water fish found in paddy fields and rivers of Kerala. There are many black dots on the fish and one dot will be visible clearly. Pallathi fish to be deep fried to consume as it has lots of tiny bones. This fish recipe can be used for any podimeen (small fish) like Netholi/ Kozhuva/ Chooda (anchovy fish) fry recipes in Kerala style.
1. Add coconut oil to marinate the fish instead of water for better marination.
2. Don’t add any other masala or ginger, garlic etc for frying small fishes. It will change the fish’s taste.
Pallathi varuthathu | Kerala style Orange Chromide (small fish) fry recipePrint This
- To marinate
- 1. Red chilli powder - 1 Tablespoon
- 2. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 3. Pepper powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 4. Salt - To taste
- 5. Coconut oil - 1 Teaspoon
- To fry
- 6. Coconut oil - 1/4 Cup
- To garnish
- 7. curry leaves - 2 Sprigs
- 8. Green chillies - 3 Nos (Slitted)
1. Mix ingredients from 1-5 well.
2. Add Pallathi fish and rub the marinade well on the it.
3. Keep it marinated for sometime.
4. Heat coconut oil in a pan and fry Pallathi fish both sides crispy.
5. After frying, add some curry leaves and green chillies in the remaining oil and garnish. This step is optional.