Muringayila Thoran (Drumstick Leaves with Coconut) is prepared with tender drumstick leaves with coconut flavored with coconut oil.
- Moru curry + Fish in coconut gravy
Muringayila Thoran | Drumstick Leaves with CoconutPrint This
- 1. Drumstick leaves - 4 Cups (Muringayila) - Chopped
- 2. Coconut - 1 Cup - Grated
- 3. Red chilly powder - 1 Teaspoon
- 4. Turmeric powder - 1/8 Teaspoon
- 5. Cumin - 1/2 Teaspoon (Jeerakam)
- 6. Garlic - 5 cloves - Medium sized
- 7. Salt
- 8. Coconut oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Crush ingredients 2 – 6 coarsely.
- Heat a pan add chopped drumstick leaves, crushed ingredients and salt, mix well and cook in low flame with the pan covered. Sprinkle little water if necessary.
- Stir now and then.
- When leaves are cooked well add coconut oil mix well and switch off the flame.
• Tender drumstick leaves should be used to prepare Thoran. • Separate drumstick leaves from stem and chop. Chopping prevents leaves to stick together while cooking. • Sometime drumstick leaves will have a bitter taste which depends on the season and type of leaves used. • In Kerala, drumstick leaves wont be used to prepare dshes on Malayalam Calander month ‘Karkadakam’ due to climate and health reasons during that period.