Vegetable stew – Popular Kerala breakfast side dish made by vegetables cooked in coconut milk with light flavouring of cardamom, clove and cinnamon.
- Appam/ Idiyappam
Kerala Style Vegetable Stew | IshtuPrint This
- 1. Potato - 1 Cup - Small cubes
- 2. Carrot - 1/2 Cup - Small cubes
- 3. Beans - 1/4 Cup - Sliced
- 4. Green peas - 1/4 cup - Boiled/ Fresh/ Frozen (Optional)
- 5. Onion - 1 Cup - Finely sliced
- 6. Ginger - 1 1/2 Teaspoon - Finely chopped
- 7. Garlic - 1 Teaspoon - Finely chopped
- 8. Green chilly - 3 Nos - Sliced diagonally
- 9. Cardamom - 3 Nos
- 10. Cloves - 2 Nos
- 11. Cinnamon stick - A small piece
- 12. Peppercorns - 2 Teaspoon
- 13. Bay leaves - 1 No - Small
- 14. Thin coconut milk - 2 Cup
- 15. Thick coconut milk - 1 Cup
- 16. Corn flour - 1 Teaspoon (Optional)
- 17. Curry leaves - 2 Stems
- 18. Coconut oil - 2 Tablespoon
- 19. Salt
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter ingredients 9 -13.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute till light brown color.
- Add onion, salt, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute till onion become transparent. Don’t let the onions become brown.
- Add ingredients 1-4 and mix well. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add thin coconut milk and boil. Cook it for 15 minutes with pan closed in a low-medium heat.
- Add corn flour diluted in 1 tablespoon water and mix well.
- Add thick coconut milk and heat. Don’t let it boil.
- Switch off the flame and serve with Appam/ Idiyappam.