Cabbage, some people in Kerala call it as “Mottakkose”. Motta in malayalam means egg. May be due to it’s round shape it’s called as mottakkose. Cabbage thoran is a traditional recipe for Kerala Sadhya. There are different ways to make cabbage thoran. Here I’m using ginger to make the thoran and not using cumin seeds and garlic. Usually cumin seeds are unavoidable for Kerala thoran recipes. But it’s a varity, still gives a mouth watering aroma with coconut oil.
This thoran should be cooked covering the pan in very low flame without adding water. Only sprinkle the water if necessary.
I didn’t temper the thoran. But if needed, it can be tempered with urud dal, mustard seeds, chopped shallots, dry chilly and curry leaves in coconut oil.
- Rice + Moru curry + Red fish curry
- Rice + Rasam
- Rice + Fish curry in coconut gravy
Kerala Style Cabbage Thoran | Mottakkose ThoranPrint This
- 1. Cabbage - 1 1/2 Cup - Finely chopped
- 2. Coconut - 1/2 Cup - Grated
- 3. Onion - 1/2 Cup - Finely chopped
- 4. Ginger - 1 Teaspoon - Finely chopped
- 5. Green chilly - 2 Teaspoon - Chopped
- 6. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 7. Curry leaves - 1 Stem
- 8. Salt
- --- For Tempering ---
- 9. Coocnut oil - 2 Teaspoon
- 10. Mustard seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 11. Curry leaves - 1 Stem
- 12. Dried red chilly - 2 Nos
- Mix ingredients 1 – 8 well with hand.
- Cook in a thick bottom pan – very low heat – the lid on – without adding water.
- When it’s done, heat oil in another pan splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves and dried red chilly and fry for sometime.
- Add the tempering over the Thoran.
- Switch off the flame and serve with rice.