Inji theeyal/ Inji curry/ ginger curry is a main side dish for Kerala Onam Sadya. Inji curry is first served curry in banana leaf on the left most
side. There are variation in Inji curry preperation in different parts of Kerala. This Inji curry is made with roasted coconut gravy. But it can be prepared without roasted coconut too. In some part of Kerala Inji curry is prepared with ginger, tamarind and jaggery as a sweet side dish which is called as ‘Puliyinji’. What ever it is, Inji curry/ Puliyinji is an essential Sadya side dish. Ginger helps in digestion so Inji curry’s role in Sadya is for easy digestion of a heavy Sadya meal 🙂
Also it’s said in Kerala that one Ginger curry is equal to 100 curries. In this Inji curry recipe I don’t add Jaggery but you can add Jaggery if you like to get a sweet taste in Inji curry.
For preparing Inji curry we should roast the coconut properly without burning in low flame.
Inji Theeyal | Inji Curry | Ginger Curry | Kerala Sadya RecipesPrint This
- For coconut roast
- 1. Coconut (scraped) – 2 Cups
- 2. Shallots (chopped) – 6 No
- 3. Garlic cloves (chopped) – 4 No
- 4. Curry leaves – 2 Spring
- Other ingredients
- 5. Ginger (chopped) – 2 Tablespoon
- 6. Turmeric powder – 1 Pinch
- 7. Chilli powder – 2 Teaspoon
- 8. Coriander powder – 2 Teaspoon
- 9. Tamarind – 1 Teaspoon
- 10. Fenugreek seeds – ¼ Teaspoon
- 11. Hing powder – 1 Pinch
- 12. Curry leaves – 3 Spring
- 13. Water – 2.5 – 3 Cups
- 14. Salt – As required
- Dry roast ingredients 1-4 in a Iron pan preferrably till golden color. Add little coocnut oil only if necessary.
- Keep aside and let it cool down a bit by spreading on a dry plate.
- Heat oil in a pan and roast ginger till golden brown.
- Switch off the flame and add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and saute well.
- Let the mixture to cool down.
- First grind the roasted coconut without adding water and keep aside.
- Grind the ginger mix with fenugreek seeds and tamarind by adding little water.
- Mix the ground coconut paste and ginger paste and enough water.
- Add curry leaves and mix the coconut paste and ginger paste without lumps.
- Keep covered and boil. Stir now and then.
- Let the Inji curry boil and cook till oil separates.
- Add hing powder and a spring of curry leaves and switch off the flame.