Chow Mein – It’s a popular Indo Chinese noodles prepared with vegetables and with or without meat.
Chow Mein is prepared by stir frying the ingredients in a wok. What is Wok? It’s a Chinese non stick, deep, round bottom iron pan) with a long handle to toss the ingredients.
Indo Chinese Chow Mein RecipePrint This
- 1. Chow mein noodles - 100 gms
- 2. Garlic - 1/2 Tablespoon - Minced
- 3. Onion - 1/2 Cup - Sliced
- 4. Spring onion - 1/2 Cup - Striped
- 5. Carrot - 1/2 Cup - Striped
- 6. Beans - 1/2 Cup - Striped
- 7. Capsicum - 1/2 Cup - Striped
- 8. Cabbage - 1/2 Cup - Striped
- 9. Chicken breast - 1/2 Cup - Shreaded
- 10. Egg - 1 No
- 11. Celery - 1 Stem - Chopped
- For making the sauce
- 12. Soya sauce - 1/2 Tablepsoon
- 13. Rice wine vinegar - 1/2 Teaspoon
- 14. Pepper powder - 1 Pinch
- 15. Sugar - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 16. Salt - A dash
- 17. Ajinomoto - 1/4 Teaspoon - Optional
- 18. Vegetable oil - 3 Tablespoon
- Cook the noodles as mentioned in the packet. Wash the cooked noodles in running water, strain the water and keep aside.
- Mix ingredients from 12 to 17 to make the sauce and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok on a high flame.
- Add garlic and fry till light brown.
- Add onion, carrot, beans, chicken, cabbage, capsicum, spring onion respectively, toss occasionally.
- Keep the vegetables aside inside the wok, make some space in the middle of the wok. Add the egg, scramble and cook till done.
- Add the sauce and toss all the ingredients.
- Add cooked noodles and toss.
- Add celery, toss well and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot.
• If iron woks are not available, normal pans also can be used, but choose a bottom thick pan. • To cook noodles – Boil salted water, when boiling add some oil and the noodles. After cooking, wash the noodles in running water to avoid each strands sticking together. • Toss the ingredients instead of stirring if coking in a wok. • Vegetables are stir fried in a high flame. Adjust the flame if sensitive pans are used. • Don’t over cook vegetables, maintain the crunchiness. • Chicken breast pieces cook quickly in the hot oil. So no need to cook separately. (Chicken cooked separate with salt and pepper can also be added) • No need to add salt to the vegetables as salt is added while cooking the noodles and the prepared sauce (especially soya sauce) contains enough salt. • Use normal no flavoured vinegar if rice wine vinegar is not available.