Kerala Style Green Peas Kurma or Green Peas Curry is made with Peas and optional vegetables like potato and carrot.
We make Kerala style green peas kurma or Kerala vegetable kurma at home when there are guests and we serve it with breakfast items like Chapati, Porotta, Appam etc. But this peas kurma doesn’t go well with Kerala boiled rice. Kurma curries are popular in South Kerala during parties/ get together as a vegetarian option. There is one another version of this Kurma – a spicy version that I’ll post soon. I love green peas kurma with Kerala Porotta the most :).
This green peas kurma is mild flavored and less spicy so kids will love this nutritious and delicious kurma. I’m using ground coconut in this recipe, but if you add coconut milk it will enhance the flavor. If you are adding coconut milk, don’t boil the curry after adding coconut milk – The curry may be splitting. Add crushed garlic and fennel powder and boil the peas kurma till raw smell goes off. Then add coconut milk and just heat up and switch off the flame. Then add the tempering.
Kerala Style Green Peas Kurma | Green Peas CurryPrint This
- 1. Dried green peas - 1 Cup
- 2. Onion - Diced - 1 Small
- 3. Potato- Diced - 1 Medium
- 4. Carrot - Diced - 1 Medium
- 5. Ginger - Chopped - 1 Small piece/ 1.5 Teaspoons
- 6. Green chilly - Slitted - 4 Nos
- 7. Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- 8. Cinnamon stick - 1 Small piece (Karukapatta)
- 9. Cloves - 3 Nos (Grambu)
- 10. Coriander powder - 2 Teaspoons
- 11. Water - 4 Cups
- 12. Salt
- To grind
- 13. Coconut - 1 Cup
- 14. Garlic - 3 Medium cloves
- 15. Fennel seeds - 1 Teaspoon (Perumjeerakam)
- To temper
- 16. Coconut oil - 2 Tablespoon
- 17. Mustard seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon (Kaduk)
- 18. Dried red chilly - Broken - 2 Nos
- 19. Shallots - Chopped - 3 Nos (Chuvannulli)
- 20. Curry leaves - 2 Stems
- Wash and soak dried green peas overnight.
- Pressure cook first set of ingredients. (Ingredients 1-12) for one whistle (If peas are not well cooked, cook for some more time).
- Grind ingredients 13-15 to a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Switch on the flame and heat up the cooked vegetables.
- Add ground coconut mixture and cook till raw smell of the ground paste vanishes.
- Switch off the flame and prepare the tempering and pour over the green peas kurma/ curry and mix well.
To prepare the tempering
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add other tempering ingredients and fry them till light brown.
- Switch off the flame and pour the tempering over the curry.