Paal sarbath/ Milk sarbath is a popular, refreshing Calicut (Kerala) dairy drink. Paal sarbath is made by adding Nannari syrup with chilled milk. Nannari syrup can be prepared at home or we can buy from store. Nannari is an Ayurvedic herb which has many medicinal properties. Nannari syrup is made by processing Nannari roots by boiling and preserving in sugar syrup.
- We can adjust the amount of Nannari syrup in this recipe according to our taste.
- No need to add sugar as the store bought Nannari syrup already contains sugar. See the instruction in the bottle.
- Use chilled milk/ ice cubes. Paal/ Milk sarbath tastes better when it’s chilled.
- If using pasteurized milk, use the milk without boiling. If not, boil the milk first then chill it and use only after straining out the cream.
Paal sarbath | Kozhikodan milk sarbath recipePrint This
- 1. Chilled milk - 250 ml
- 2. Nannari syrup - 1/4 Cup or To taste
- 3. Sabja seeds (Black khus khus/ Basil seeds) - 1 Teaspoon (Optional)
- Soak Sabja seeds in water for 1 -2 minutes till it becomes balls.
- In a tall glass, add Nannari syrup and soaked Sabja seeds.
- Add chilled milk and ice cubes (optional) and mix well.
- Paal sarbath/ Milk sarbath is ready to be served.